Our Team

Our Team

Sunday, August 9, 2009

1st Week Down!

Well, my 1st week of homeschooling is finished. It went pretty well considering the obstacles we faced. We had to wait until Thursday before most of the curriculum arrived, so I had to come up with my own math and grammar activities for a few days. We are still waiting for Chad's math books to arrive, so I'm still fishing for work for him to do. I might have him practice measurement tomorrow while baking some cookies! Our thermal pollution science experiment did not go as well as expected, I guess our goldfish are used to warm water here in Arizona because the heat didn't seem to phase them. We did kill of 6 though when Greg put to many water conditioner drops in the tank. We rescued 4 of them, which I have named "Faith", "Hope", "Charity" and "Jaws". The other big challenge for me is helping Greg to stay focused. It takes him an hour to complete 15 minutes worth of work. He gets distracted by EVERYTHING. I don't know how the public school teachers handled this with him. They all said he completed his work, so they were not worried. Maybe their work was too easy, or they just didn't have high expectations, I don't know, I just know that I have to sit right beside him the entire time or he is gone- both mentally and physically!
I am really loving our "PE" class. We run every morning for 10 minutes. I go really slow to encourage Greg, for him this is a real challenge. I'm also trying to get Jake to run the whole time because he would rather walk then sprint, walk then sprint etc. Yesterday, Stuart and I found a used jogging stroller for $70, so next week, when Diane is gone to seminary, I can bring Adin along for our run. I'm really going to miss having Diane home in the mornings. Her school doesn't start until 8:30 am, so she has been helping me with Adin and Elijah while I jog with the boys. Next week will start a new routine of driving to seminary, then getting Eli ready before we can run. Maybe we will do the sit-ups and push-ups first though, so I can shower as soon as I get back. (It is usually 90 degrees by 8am here and I'm told that will last through September) So, I have to say that I enjoy home schooling so far. I do worry that we might not cover everything I have planned, but I hope I turn out to be a good teacher and can get the boys thinking and writing and learning.

No comments: